University of Southern California
black horizontal bar for print styles

Undergraduate Education

Financial Aid for Undergraduate Students

Students at USC benefit from federal, state and university financial aid programs administered by the Financial Aid Office and from scholarships, which are administered by the Office of Admission and various academic departments. USC also offers an interest-free monthly-payment plan and participates in long term loan programs. Students may apply for one or more kinds of aid, depending on eligibility. Students must be U.S. citizens, permanent residents or other eligible non-citizens and must meet all other eligibility requirements to be eligible for federal, state and university financial aid programs. Detailed information is available online at

Although international students cannot receive financial aid, they may be eligible for scholarships offered by their schools or departments. International students should contact their departments directly for information about existing opportunities. International students may also be eligible for some private educational loans.


Scholarships awarded by the Office of Admission on the basis of academic achievement, leadership, service and talent are available through the Office of Admission, most academic departments at USC, alumni groups and outside agencies and foundations.

Some of these awards require a separate application. In some cases, financial need is also considered. Further information may be obtained from the appropriate school, department, or awarding agency.

Application Procedures for Federal, State and University Financial Aid

For application instructions and deadlines, go to


The Financial Aid Office will award University Grants to eligible students who meet all financial aid application deadlines.

The Federal Pell Grant program is a grant program for exceptionally needy students. Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (SEOG) are also available for exceptionally needy students. The SEOG is awarded only to eligible students who meet all application deadlines.

Cal Grants A and B are administered by the California Student Aid Commission. All undergraduate aid applicants who are residents of California are required to apply. Cal Grant A is for partial tuition and fees. Cal Grant B recipients receive a stipend the first year and receive a stipend and tuition credit in subsequent years.

Federal Work-Study

The Federal Work-Study program enables eligible students to earn part of their financial aid award through employment either on campus or with an approved off-campus employer. Only students who meet all application deadlines are considered for this program.

Federal Student Loans

Loans through the Federal Perkins Loan Program are awarded to eligible students who apply on time. Repayment begins nine months after the borrower ceases to be enrolled at least half time.

Subsidized and Unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loans are also available. Repayment begins six months after the borrower ceases to be enrolled at least half time. All loan repayment terms are subject to change.

Federal and Private Financing Programs

Several programs are available to help families meet the costs of education by providing long-term financing options and a short-term payment plan. Detailed information is available online at

Second Bachelor's Degree

Students who are pursuing their second bachelor's degree are eligible for a limited number of financial aid programs — Subsidized Federal Stafford Loan and the Unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loan. Eligible students who meet all application deadlines are also considered for the Federal Work-Study.