University of Southern California
black horizontal bar for print styles

Undergraduate Education

Financial Aid for Undergraduate Students

Students at USC benefit from federal, state and university financial aid programs administered by the Financial Aid Office and from scholarships, which are administered by the Office of Admission and various academic departments. USC also offers an interest-free monthly-payment plan and a tuition pre-payment plan, and participates in long-term loan programs.

Although international students cannot receive financial aid, they may be eligible for scholarships offered by their schools or departments. International students should contact their departments directly for information about existing opportunities. International students may also be eligible for some private educational loans.

Application Procedures and Eligibility Requirements for Financial Aid

Detailed information, application procedures and deadlines for financial aid are available online at Students must be U.S. citizens, permanent residents or other eligible non-citizens and must meet all other eligibility requirements for federal, state and university financial aid programs. Students must have a valid Social Security number, have a high school diploma, GED or equivalent, meet Selective Service registration requirements, meet Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements, and have completed all application requirements by the relevant deadline. For most federal awards, a minimum of half-time enrollment is required. For most university awards, full-time enrollment is required.


Scholarships awarded by the Office of Admission on the basis of academic achievement, leadership, service and talent are available through the Office of Admission, most academic departments at USC, alumni groups and outside agencies and foundations. Some of these awards require a separate application. In some cases, financial need is also considered. For more information, visit


The Financial Aid Office may award University Grants to eligible students who meet all financial aid application deadlines.

Federal Pell Grants and Federal Supple­mental Educational Opportunity Grants (SEOG) are available for exceptionally needy students. The SEOG is awarded only to eligible students who meet all application deadlines.

Cal Grants A and B are administered by the California Student Aid Commission. All undergraduate aid applicants who are residents of California are required to apply. Cal Grant A provides funds for partial tuition and fees. Cal Grant B recipients receive a stipend the first year and receive a stipend and tuition credit in subsequent years.

Federal Work-Study

The Federal Work-Study program enables eligible students to earn part of their financial aid award through employment either on campus or with an approved off-campus employer. Only students who meet all application deadlines are considered for this program.

Federal Student Loans and Parent Loans

Federal Perkins Loans may be awarded to eligible students who meet all application deadlines. Repayment begins nine months after the borrower ceases to be enrolled at least half time.

Subsidized and Unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loans are also available to eligible students. Repayment begins six months after the borrower ceases to be enrolled at least half time.

Federal Parent PLUS Loans are available to parents of dependent undergraduate students. Payments may be deferred while the student is enrolled at least half time.

Private Financing Programs

Private financing programs are available to help students and parents meet the costs of education by providing long-term financing options.

Financial Aid for a Second Bachelor's Degree

Students who are pursuing their second ­bachelor's degree are eligible for a limited number of financial aid programs — Subsidized Federal Stafford Loan and the Unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loan. Parents of dependent students may also borrow Federal Parent PLUS Loans. Eligible students who meet all application deadlines are also considered for Federal Work-Study.

Financial Aid for Limited Status Enrollment

Students not admitted to a degree-seeking program who enroll as limited status students are not eligible for federal, state or university financial aid.